By Barry Balleck
This provocative quantity explores how and why the be aware "patriot" has been appropriated via those that struggle opposed to the U.S. government—sometimes advocating violence in help in their goals.
• Addresses the wide variety of "patriot" teams at the moment energetic within the usa, masking their origins and present actions and what they display approximately America's political state
• Profiles famous patriot teams
• Discusses the political, monetary, and social dynamics that perpetuate the expansion of those activities
• Explores how and why such teams advanced from guardians of the rules of restricted executive to proponents of radicalized violence opposed to these they see as being towards their beliefs
• Overviews the congruence of patriotism and political violence in U.S. historical past, corresponding to how disillusionment within the wake of the Civil struggle supplied fodder for the forming of the Klu Klux Klan
Read Online or Download Allegiance to Liberty: The Changing Face of Patriots, Militias, and Political Violence in America PDF
Similar civil rights & liberties books
Stephen Halbrook's The Founders' moment modification is the 1st book-length account of the origins of the second one modification, in response to the Founders' personal statements as present in newspapers, correspondence, debates, and resolutions. Mr. Halbrook investigates the interval from 1768 to 1826, from the final years of British rule and the yank Revolution via to the adoption of the structure and the invoice of Rights, and the passing of the Founders' new release.
How is it that, part a century after Brown v. Board of schooling, academic possibilities stay so unequal for black and white scholars, let alone terrible and prosperous ones? In his vital new publication, 5 Miles Away, a global aside, James E. Ryan solutions this question via tracing the fortunes of 2 colleges in Richmond, Virginia--one within the urban and the opposite within the suburbs.
A finished consultant to potent participation within the public debate approximately our so much fundamental correct: freedom of expressionEncouraging readers to imagine severely approximately freedom of speech and expression and the varied serious views that problem the present country of the legislation, this article offers a accomplished research of the old and felony contexts of the 1st modification, from its early foundations all of the approach to censorship on the net.
Via Many risks, Toils and Snares, initially released in 1985, was once the 1st ebook to make an in-depth exam of the cadre of African American lawmakers in Texas after the Civil conflict. these few books that addressed the topic in any respect handled black legislators en masse and provided little or not anything approximately their person histories.
- Examining Human Rights Issues and the Democracy Project in Sub-Saharan Africa: A Theoretical Critique and Prospects for Progress in the Millennium
- The Left and Rights Routledge Library Editions: Political Science Volume 50: A Conceptual Analysis of the Idea of Socialist Rights
- Religious Conversions in the Mediterranean World (Islam and Nationalism)
- Puerto Rican Citizen: History and Political Identity in Twentieth-Century New York City (Historical Studies of Urban America)
Extra info for Allegiance to Liberty: The Changing Face of Patriots, Militias, and Political Violence in America
Allegiance to Liberty: The Changing Face of Patriots, Militias, and Political Violence in America by Barry Balleck